What is the definition of an essay? It is simply a short piece of writing on a particular subject. Essays are arguably the most common genre of academic writing in college. By the way, the most common essay types are descriptive, compare and contrast, cause and effect, problem and solution, process essays, and definition essays. Do you want some free essay topics to write your paper on? In this article, we’ll outline over 150 compare and contrast essay topics for you.
Do you know what compare and contrast essays are? They refer to a multi-paragraph piece of writing that explains how two (or more) subjects (ideas, people, places, opinion, thoughts, or example) are similar or different. Comparing means focusing on either the similarities or differences or both, while contrasting gives more attention to the differences. These kinds of essays fall under expository types of essays.
Want some interesting topics to write your papers on? Or basic tips on how to find one for yourself? This article is definitely for you. You’ll also learn how to write, edit and format your essays like a pro.
- How to Write College Essays: Extensive Guide to Boost Grades Fast
- How to Write Expository Essays (Any Type) Fast in 5 Step + Examples
- Different Types of Essays with Writing Tips + Topic Examples
- What is Academic Writing? 5 Interesting Facts for Students
Before listing some awesome essay topics, let’s first understand how to select an appropriate topic.
How to Find a Relevant Essay Topic
Arguably, finding a relevant topic – especially for thesis and research paper- could be challenging. However, these steps will help you find a compare and contrast essay topic with ease. Let’s get to it:
- Firstly, you need to understand the essay instructions. Is the topic pre-determined by the professor? Or, are you allowed to choose a topic on your own? Make sure you read the prompt and rubric carefully.
- Brainstorm ideas. Can you select your own topic? If yes, think of ideas you may want to write your essay on. Welcome and critique other people’s views – of course, in a positive manner.
- Select a researchable topic. You should be able to read and understand the literature. Remember, you’ll need more facts. So, what do other writers say about the topic area you want to explore? What did they miss out on? Any research gap?
- Is the topic manageable? Will you manage to address the subject using available resources? If not, move to the next topic idea.
- List down some keywords that you’d like to emphasize while writing your essay.
- Be flexible. Bear in mind that it could be possible to rephrase the thesis or topic during the writing process. Thus, your topic should not be too narrow or rigid.
- Define your topic as a question. Ask yourself why you selected the topic and how you will present the ideas.
- Conduct background research on the topic. Researching helps you understand the subject. It helps you conclude whether you still want to explore the topic. Did the research change your perception of the subject? What are some unaddressed issues?
- Formulate a thesis statement and proceed to write your paper.
In the following section, you’ll get an extensive list with examples of topics that you can write your compare and contrast essay on.
Best Compare and Contrast Essay Topics in 2021
If you are struggling with writing a great compare and contrast essay, worry no more. SmartWrite will guide you through the writing process. We understand that finding a topic could be tricky – that’s why we did the hard job for you. All you need is to read through our topic examples and pick one that interests you.
Alternatively, you may want to modify our topics to suit your interests and the professor’s instructions. Feel free to do so. In either way, our essay topics are free of charge. You may use as many as possible or recommend them to those close to you.
We’ll list some general essay or research topics and then narrow down to some categories.
Let’s Get to it, shall we?
60 General Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
You may consider writing a compare and contrast essay on any of the following topics:
- Comparing active and passive transport
- Articles of confederation and the constitution
- Athens vs. Sparta
- Beowulf and Grendel
- Brutus and Cassius Essay
- Chronological review and methodological review
- Compare Operant and classical conditioning
- A record and a document
- A function and a relation
- Comparing Aldehydes and ketones
- Sympatric vs. allopatric speciation
- compare and contrast ALU and CU
- Ancient science in Egypt and Mesopotamia
- Anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa
- Apartheid in Europe and South Africa
- Benign and malignant tumors
- Descriptive and inferential statistics
- A teacher and a doctor
- C++ and java
- Capitalism and socialism
- Consultancy proposal and consultancy contract
- Creativity and innovation
- Horticultural societies with agricultural societies
- Hurricanes and tornadoes
- In-situ and ex-situ conservation
- Infrared and ultraviolet spectrophotometry
- Innovation and invention
- Young adulthood with middle adulthood
- Young and old age
- Your DNA with that of a tomato
- Culture, ethnicity, and acculturation
- Data and variable views in SPSS
- Descriptive and analytic epidemiology
- Descriptive and inferential statistics
- The direct and indirect method of contouring
- Disease management and case management
- Distance and displacement
- Driving in the winter and driving in the summer
- Expert and process models of consultancy
- Facilitated diffusion and active transport
- FDMA, TDMA, and CDMA techniques
- Formative and summative assessment
- Freedom and liberty
- Freud Piaget and Erikson theories
- Functionalism and conflict theory essay
- George Wilson and Tom Buchanan
- Globalism and informational
- Greedy algorithms and dynamic programming
- Greek and Roman artworks
- An essay on Heat and temperature
- Heat exhaustion and heat stroke
- Horizontal integration and vertical integration
- Insurance and gambling
- Interviews and interrogations
- Isoquant and indifference curve
- Jamestown and Plymouth
- Job-order and process costing systems
- Your mother and father
- Zeus and Prometheus
- Z distribution and T distribution
20 Awesome Compare & Contrast Essay Topics on Technology
You may consider writing your technology comparison essay on any of the following topics. Feel free to use any, or modify it to suit your needs.
- Laptop computers vs. the manual typewriters
- ROM (Read Only Memory) and RAM (Read Access Memory)
- Compare and contrast static and dynamic IP address
- Bluetooth vs. wifi technologies
- Facebook vs. Instagram or Twitter
- Microsoft Office and LibreOffice
- Samsung Phones vs. Apple
- Internet of Things vs. Machine learning
- Life with mobile phones vs. without
- Tablets vs. phones
- Computer memory and Human memory
- compare and contrast reversible and irreversible cell injury
- RISC and CISC architecture/computers
- rest and soap web services
- 8th generation computers vs. 1st generation
- The versatility of video calls versus long-distance drives to visit your loved ones
- Email messaging vs. traditional postal service
- Guidance and counseling
- Hardware and software
- Compare and contrast zoom and google meet
20 Greatest Essay Topics in Biology or Healthcare
The following are some awesome topics on biology or healthcare for your compare and contrast essay.
- US and UK healthcare systems
- DNA and RNA
- Similarities and differences between animal and plant cells
- Vaccines vs. antitoxins
- Sexual and asexual reproduction
- Skeletal and cardiac muscle
- Spermatogenesis and oogenesis in human cells
- Aerobic vs. Anaerobic Respiration
- Digestion/absorption of starch vs. proteins in humans
- Type 1 vs. Type 2 Diabetes
- Lung cancer vs. Skin Cancer
- Virus vs. Bacteria
- Veins, arteries, and capillaries
- Cellular respiration and photosynthesis
- Chemical versus physical changes
- K-selected species and r-selected species
- Mitosis and meiosis
- Genotype and phenotype
- Growth and development in human beings
- Innate and adaptive immunity
20 Best Compare & Contrast Essay Topics on Education
You may want to write an essay on education on any of the following 20 topics.
- Life with a personal tutor versus life without
- Books and movies
- MLA, Harvard, and APA referencing styles
- The 7-4-2-3 and 8-4-4 system of education
- The bottom-up curriculum and the top-down curriculum
- Essays vs. research papers
- Life in College vs. High school
- Going to university vs. getting employed
- Longitudinal and transverse waves
- Studying in private universities and public campuses
- Oral and written communication
- Online learning vs. face-to-face
- Junior and senior high school
- Life with and without education
- The education system in the US vs. South Africa, etc.
- Education and learning
- Essay on qualitative vs. qualitative data
- Canada vs. Australian approaches to health education
- Various theories of teaching and learning
- Western and Islamic educational systems
20 Business-Related Compare & Contrast Essay Topics
Here comes some awesome business compare and contrast essay examples.
- Economic growth and development in the US and Canada
- Perfect competition and monopoly
- Leadership, management, and power
- Public company and partnership
- Financial accounting and cost accounting
- Balance sheet vs. income statement
- Free market and command economy
- Financial and managerial accounting
- Goods and services
- Internal audit and external audit
- International business and international trade
- Real and nominal GDP
- Sole proprietorship and partnership
- Quality control and quality assurance
- Pure and perfect markets
- Registered transactions vs. exempt transactions
- Traditional commerce and e-commerce
- Two top trade unions in Canada
- The unemployment rate in Asia and Africa
- The growth rate in agriculture-based and industry-based countries of your choice
Top 20 Compare& Contrast Essay Topics in Religion
Maybe you are studying theology or religion studies? Well, these topics are perfect for you. You may either opt to work on any topic of your interest or modify it as you seem fit.
- Judaism, Christianity, and Islam
- The churches in Jerusalem and the church in Antioch
- African and Christian ways of worship
- Elements of Christianity vs. paganism
- Religion and Philosophy
- Abraham and Moses
- The Bible and Quran
- Religion in Africa before and after colonization
- Religious activities in America vs. South Asia
- Morality vs. ethics or culture
- Catholics vs. Protestant
- Hinduism and Buddhism essay
- The life of John the Baptist and Jesus
- Compare and contrast faith of Mosses and Abraham
- Faith and human will
- Religion in the 21st century vs. 10th century
- Life with religion and with not
- Quran Hadith and hadith Qudsi
- First-century vs. 20th-century Judaism concepts and beliefs
- Characteristics of Pharisees and Sadducees
To conclude, we listed over 150 topics to write your compare and contrast essay on (160 to be precise). These topics are very common on the web and have pretty of information to write on. Should you need to be more specific, consider narrowing down or concentrating in a particular region.
As you have noticed, finding a relevant topic could be challenging. However, we did the hard work for you. All you need is to identify a topic of your interest and conduct some background research on it.
The above article:
- Explained the meaning of compare and contrast essays
- Highlighted the essay topic selection process
- Outlined 60 general topics to write a compare and contrast essay on, and
- Listed 20 topics in technology, health or biology, education, business, and religion.
Did we cover your area of interest? If we did not, leave a comment, we’ll advise you and consider updating the article soon. If we did, still leave a comment, and share the article with the close ones. All the best in writing your compare and contrast essays.
Still need help? Buy Pre-written essays and enjoy premium writing services.